Monday 19 August 2013

Friendlies and kids school holidays

Friendlies are a great way to prepare for the season.  You can take so much from them, especially when the format of the game changes.  The problems arise when the school holidays are just before the start of the new season!  Our 1st and only friendly so far was back in July, just before the kids broke up.  Then the school holidays hit and I lost half of the team.  Don't see this as me complaining because I was also one of those that took a break for a couple of weeks.  I just don't know how other teams manage it.

Over the last few weeks, I received numerous texts, phone calls and emails asking for friendlies but I've had to turn them down.  We have only been managing 6-7 at training to getting at least 9 together for a match on a Sunday is definitely a no-no.  Do these other teams have considerably larger squads than us?  Surely not as we are only allowed a certain number of players in the squad.  Do other kids not go on holiday?  Maybe, or they don't all go at the same time.

We have 14 players, of which 3 or 4 have been unavailable all summer.  That leaves us with 10-11.  Factor in others going away and we are struggling to get a team for the whole summer holidays.

What I do know is come September, I will have a squad of players eager to play.  It may take us a couple of games to get going but they'll learn quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment