Friday 1 November 2013

Putting things into perspective

It was a funny old week last week and one I wouldn't want to repeat in a hurry!  My 6 year old daughter was admitted to Sheffield Children's Hospital on Wednesday with bronchiolitis and it turned out to be a 5 night stay.  With my wife staying in with her, I had the job of arranging for my other 2 boys to be looked after during the day while I was at the hospital and being there for them at night.  I definitely got the better end of the deal though with being able to sleep in my own bed!

As it became apparent we would still be in over the weekend, my thoughts turned briefly to how i would manage to get to our match on Sunday.  Thankfully, the arrangements had already been made with the opposition and a referee had been sorted thanks to the older son of one of our parents.

The game passed and we lost 5-1 to a team we had beat on the last game of last season to win the league.  The result didn't matter, as it never has done.  It's always about the enjoyment for the boys.  But it was the first time in 3 years of coaching that I have thought "I don't really want to be here".

After the game, I took my two sons to the hospital to see their sister and mum for the first time in a few days.  I've also known that family come first, but these last few days have put everything into perspective.

Would I have packed it all in this week?  With the way things have gone, probably.  Will I in the future?  Very doubtful.

No comments:

Post a Comment